If you love the idea of handing out holiday tins of homemade cookies but your baking skills are non-existent, gourmet caramel chocolate-covered apples are the perfect solution. They’re so easy to make that your child will barely need help, but the results are delicious and look beautiful.
What You Need:
- Lollipop sticks (available at crafts stores)
- Bag of caramels (or substitute peanut butter and skip Step 2)
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Tin foil
- Cooking spray
- Your choice of toppings: crushed nuts, dried coconut, colored holiday sprinkles
- Clear baker’s wrap and ribbons
What You Do:
- Line the baking sheet with tin foil and spray lightly with oil.
- Unwrap the caramels and melt according to the directions on the bag.
- Dip the entire apple in the caramel, spreading with a knife if it’s too thick to coat evenly. Set aside on baking sheet to cool and harden.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until thoroughly melted.
- Dip the bottom 3/4 of the apple in the chocolate and set back on baking sheet.
- Let cool, then drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- While chocolate is still soft, dip bottom of apple in your choice of toppings.
- Let cool thoroughly, then wrap and give!
Kate is the founder of Learn and Grow Books, which is a website for parents and teachers of pre-K children.